a realist who likes to dream. carving out a niche for myself in the world... word by word.

February 17, 2011

What is Auburn?

Auburn is my home these days; I live on the lovely plains. Everyday I pass Samford Hall in all its glory. Everyday I walk under Toomer's Oaks to class and marvel as they silently guard my little town of Auburn and all that it means; for Auburn is much more than a winning football team, a National Championship, or even the game of football itself. Auburn thrives on simplistic ways and values. We are a small town... not an Auburn nation, but an Auburn family. Our small rituals and traditions are giant to us and giant in our hearts. It is Tiger Walk, the eagle circling the stadium, the "War Eagle" on kickoff, and the rolling of Toomer's Corner that brings us together and engenders a common feeling of awe. Here, tradition and ritual bring a sense of self while reminding us that we are part of something bigger. In all that we do, we do it as family and along the way, we find ourselves. Auburn is home-- a warm and personal feeling of comfort and being where you belong.  Struggle only makes us stronger and more devout in our belief that it is the little rituals that wind a common thread through our hearts. So, to my Auburn, thanks for giving me a home, an identity, and a love that never falters.

No comments:

Post a Comment