a realist who likes to dream. carving out a niche for myself in the world... word by word.

February 20, 2011

Three Things

In my sister's most recent blog post [see The Education of Emily], she gave a series of "shout-outs" to some things that have recently inspired her. I'm following in her footsteps and introducing a book, a poem, and a musical goddess who have gotten my creative juices flowing and given me a little everyday joy. Enjoy!

My latest romp through Books A Million had an unexpected, but wonderful outcome: I went home with Nicole Krauss's The History of Love. I had intended on purchasing another book, but was disappointed to find it was not in stock. I picked up The History of Love on a whim and have been enthralled by it since. Krauss is able to weave together separate stories and characters in a delicate and not overly obvious way which is a crime often found in novels. Her language is both blunt and beautiful in painting the lives of two very different people linked together by a common thread. Thus far, it is wonderful-- both heartbreaking and hopeful.

I seem to be following a trend when it comes to discovering things; I stumble upon great finds without searching or expecting. Agnes Obel is one of those finds. I am no music critic, and I am certain I would not be able to find the words to describe Obel's sound even if I was. She has successfully combined off the map indie sounds with strong hints of the classical. Her voice and the accompanying piano melodies are heartbreakingly beautiful. Listen and see what I mean...

Falling, Catching

Brother Sparrow



The craziness of my life forces me to search for some small place of peace. I find myself unloading at the end of the day, searching for somewhere to lay my cares in order to lighten the toll they take on me. Ralph Waldo Emerson seemed to know exactly what I mean and penned solution and solace in precise words.



"Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could.
Some blunders and absurdities
no doubt have crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.

Tomorrow is a new day;
begin it well and serenely
and with too high a spirit
to be cumbered with
your old nonsense.

This day is all that is
good and fair.
It is too dear,
with its hopes and invitations,
to waste a moment on yesterdays."

And so I find myself daily reading this and feeling some release and ease as I savor the words. It's truly amazing how words can soothe the soul. 

1 comment: