a realist who likes to dream. carving out a niche for myself in the world... word by word.

September 21, 2011

Flying My Freak Flag

It is painful to admit that you care what other people think. No, really. When I write, I wonder who will read my post, if anyone, and will they think I'm a weirdo, or just crazy... or maybe even, God forbid, a bad writer. Our wardrobe is based mostly on what we think will appear attractive to others, whether it be our friends, the opposite sex, or the fashion police if we are so consequential, but most of the time, we're not. So, why do we care what others think of us? I'd hate to say it's human nature because it's not. Maybe we were groomed to base daily decisions on the opinions of other people, but that's not innately us. The most free, self-appreciating and at home-in-their-own-skin kind of people I know, have one thing in common: they fly their freak flag proudly. It matters not what the general populace has to say about them, good or bad. Their self-worth is measured by the love they have for themselves, and not the approval, or sometimes disapproval, of everyone else. That freeness is infectious. It is something to strive for. Sometimes, being looked at in a funny way, or called quirky is a good thing. Love yourself, and you'll see that others will follow suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment