a realist who likes to dream. carving out a niche for myself in the world... word by word.

March 11, 2011

Change: Embrace It

Change
1. a transformation, metamorphosis, conversion
2. the passing from one place, state, form, or phase to another
3. an alteration in balance 

"Action and reaction, ebb and flow, trial and error, change - this is the rhythm of living. Out of our over-confidence, fear; out of our fear, clearer vision, fresh hope. And out of hope, progress" Bruce Barton

"Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal." Arthur Schopenhauer 

"Life belongs to the living, and he who lives must be prepared for changes." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Life is its own journey, presupposes its own change and movement, and one tries to arrest them at one's eternal peril." Laurens van der Post 

Lately, I've been thinking of change and how it scares me senseless. I truly love everything that is familiar and comforting; I get waves of homesickness that hit like nausea. New situations, people, and places often make me feel uncomfortable and out of place, but, right now, change is staring me in the face, and it is inescapable. Finding my way and place in this world is a daunting task, and one that forces me to rethink my perception of change. In order to grow and evolve inwardly, one must endure and embrace the uncomfortable, the awkward, and the unknown. Only then is it possible to fully realize your potential and your place in this ever-changing world.

Nothing that is can pause or stay;
The moon will wax, the moon will wane,
The mist and cloud will turn to rain,
The rain to mist and cloud again,
Tomorrow be today.
 - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 

No comments:

Post a Comment