a realist who likes to dream. carving out a niche for myself in the world... word by word.

May 30, 2011

A Review of the Newest Sookie Stackhouse Novel, Dead Reckoning

When May rolled around this year, I was waiting any way but patiently on the latest book in the Sookie Stackhouse, or Southern Vampire, Series. This is my ritual: when school ends and finals come to a close each spring, I rush to Books A Million (sometimes multiple locations in order to find a store that has my book in stock), pay the $29.95 for the hardcover version (the only available in May), and curl up in hibernation until I turn the last page on my guilty pleasure. No, I'm not enriching my mind by perusing a classic, but I figure I deserve a treat after the hard work I've put in towards my education! So, I found this May's release from Charlaine Harris in my hands the day after it hit the shelves, and less than a week later, I closed the cover on my favorite telepathic barmaid.

Dead Reckoning starts where last year's release, Dead in the Family left off. Sookie is still recovering from her traumatic experience during the Fae War; dealing with her "marriage" and blood bond to vampire lover, Eric; planning the overthrow of the all- too nasty ruling vampire representative in Louisiana, Victor, all while holding down her waitressing job at Merlotte's where a recent bombing has left the customers scarce and Sookie facing the prospect of finding a new job. Old enemies return for Sookie's blood and, as always, she is fighting for her life on multiple occasions. In Dead Reckoning, Sookie learns even more about her family, including her beloved grandmother, and the telepathic gift that has haunted her since childhood.

Charlaine Harris
That being said, I was a little disappointed in the book. The plot lacked "oomph," a real climax, and I'm sorry to say that Sookie's raunchy escapades were missing, as well. Harris seems burned out on the series and even on her beloved character. This might actually be the case since the author recently announced she would be penning the last two novels ever in The Southern Vampire Mysteries. (Insert gasp) I can only hope that the next two books pack the punch that I and the rest of the readers have come to expect. Nonetheless, as a lover of Sookie, I still recommend Dead Reckoning as a juicy, can't-put-down, summer read.

Until next May's release of the second to last Sookie book, I will tide myself over with Season 4 of HBO's True Blood, based on the series. (Check out the trailer below.)




Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment